Thursday 8 September 2011

My Style

A common question that people ask me is, 'How do I come up with my style?' It's taken me awhile now to come up with a simple answer to this and I thought I would share with you the answer without getting too caught up in the artsy world.
Basically I start out with an idea of a certain area, city, or landscape in mind. If I have photos, great. If I can do it from memory, better and most of the time it's a combination of both what is there and how I can interpret it. Next, I strip everything about that area away. Keeping the simple lines of the mountains and then adding shapes of trees, houses, and buildings, if any. I am a HUGE fan of water and try to incorporate it into all of my paintings and  balance it with the sky. The sky, I feel is every changing and therefor I feel like I can make it whatever I like! That's why sometimes the sky is yellow, purple, blue, red or orange and I always include the sun, or the moon, to my paintings. I sketch it out, usually many times until I feel like I've created a good flow and I take some notes along the side of my sketches. Afterwards I sketch it out onto the canvas and after then I get to paint!
Sketches of 'Kelowna North'   


My Artist Statement is as follows:

Capturing the Simplistic Beauty in our Everyday Landscapes.


I believe it's important to slow down from our hectic lives and appreciate the simple things that surrounds us. Whether that be family, a good glass of wine or the landscape you see daily, stop and take it in. I spent some time on a little Island called Caye Caulker off the coast of Belize in 2006 where the island slogan was "Go Slow". I've always tried to remember my time on the island while painting and the meaning of this phrase and I hope you can see it to.
'Kelowna North' KGH Foundation Juried Showcase Winner

No comments:

Post a Comment